From:
Andy Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:28:35 -0500
For those of us in reasonably good health (free of any serious illness such
as diabetes, heart disease, etc.), one of the most important things that we
look for is a diet that will help us maintain a high level of energy (not
to say that I'm unconcerned about overall healthiness, only that I don't
have to deal with any particular sickness-related issues).

What components of a diet contribute to an increased energy level?
Personally, I try to eat a big breakfast (5 eggs or fewer eggs with some
meat, fruit or potato), lunch and dinner (both filled with meat/fish,
veggies, and fat), with a fruit and nut snack in the afternoon.  I eat
leaner meats and my Carb-Pro-Fat breakdown is about 20-30-50.

How signficant is the glycemic index, and will ea

ting a sugary piece of
fruit make you drowsier than eating, say, lentils?  What about a very low-
carb approach?  Is this sustainable over a lifetime?  I've heard that
saturated fats in particular provide quite a boost of energy - would this
be a valid argument for eating full-fat dairy products for those who have
no allergy to them?

How many protein meals do you have per day?  How about combining the
different macronutrient groups?