Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:22:24 -0500
<<> Don't even get me started on potatoes.
The point against potatoe is a little weak i think.
It's merely their antinutrient (solanin) which obviously is easy to cope
with for most. On the other hand it's a tuber, which were available year
round in savannahs.>>

Hi Amadeus,

I can understand your thoughts about potatoes but, without fail, I find that
people with carb addictions are immensely drawn to them.  Potatoes have a
narcotic-like effect on me.  Then, later, I'm starving.  After cleaning up
my diet years ago, I tried potatoes once as an experiment (I was actually
feeling really repelled by them).  I felt really ill afterwards.

If you look at where they are on the glycemic index, it makes sense that
those of us who are sensitive to carbs would have this reaction.  As far as
tubers go, I find that I have a similar reaction to these as I do to
potatoes (a little less severe).  Macrobiotics guru Michio Kushi, speaks
negatively of tubers.  I know that citing this leaves me wide open for
statements about macrobiotics being grain-based, but this does not mean that
they are all wrong  about everything.  The reality probably is that most
'systems' are partly wrong AND partly right.  I also still strongly believe
that diet is individualized and what is right for me is more than likely not
right for another - just like homeopathic medications.

Peace,
Siobhan