From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:25:22 -0500
Adrienne Smith wrote:

>Sorry Don -- I missed your previous answer to this.  I also sent Dr.
>Cordain an e-mail asking his views on this and he was kind enough to
>respond.  Among other things, he too mentioned that a reduction in one's
>normal caloric intake would result in marked insulin sensitivity and blood
>lipid parameters.  On the other hand, although Ornish's plan lowered LDL,
>had very little effect on HDL or triglycerides.  If eating carbs increases
>triglycerides (which is precisely why Ornish's high carb plan does not
>lower triglycerides), then is there any benefit to lower insulin levels
>and/or marked insulin sensitivity when triglycerides remain high?

I think the answer is yes.  Insulin regulates a number of metabolic
pathways, including especially the balance of production of series 1 and
series 2 prostaglandins.  This balance, I think, is likely to be far
more important than triglyceride levels.  High triglycerides *tend* to
be correlate positively with higher small-dense LDL particle
concentrations, and the small-dense LDL particles are theorized to be
the atherogenic ones.  But no one, to my knowledge, has shown that high
triglycerides *cause* higher small-dense LDL.

Todd Moody