From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 12:53:05 -0700
> Very interesting.  Does Ron speak to the issue of *too much*
> iron in males and non-menstruating females?  The Eades
> discussion of it in Protein Power Lifeplan is muy thought
> provoking.  It's the reason I give blood every chance I can.
>

> Jim Swayze
> www.fireholecanyon.com

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your excellent question. I only devoted a few pages to iron
overload. It is a life-threatening hazard for a small (but significant)
percentage of the population and there are many excellent books about iron
overload that are already on the market. Nonetheless, it is usually
overlooked until major organ function is impeded, when a simple blood test
could have alerted the individual to a problem, and prevention is very
simple, as your post suggests. There is a medical inclination toward
over-reliance on hemoglobin testing which neither indicates iron overload
nor deficiency in iron stores. It just identifies iron deficiency anemia.

The focus of "Get the Iron Edge" is on the less recognized and much more
frequent condition of iron stores deficiency. About 6% of U.S. adult males
and 25% of U.S. adult females are deficient in iron, most of whom do not
have anemia and hence are below the medical radar. The frequent results of
iron deficiency are reduced intellectual/memory function and impulse
control. These problems are particularly important among children and teens,
most of whom experience iron deficiency during growth spurts.

I struggled with iron deficiency anemia for many years. After going gluten
free didn't fix it, and eating a mostly paleo diet didn't correct my iron
deficiency, I was at a loss.  It wasn't until I started doing research for
my dissertation that I learned about all the things I was doing wrong. Then
I was able to develop and maintain normal iron status.  I continue to enjoy
normal iron status as of 3 weeks ago.

Again, thanks for the great question. :-)

Best Wishes,
Ron

Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
co-author Dangerous Grains ISBN: 978158333-129-3 www.dangerousgrains.com
author: Get the Iron Edge: a complete guide for meeting your iron needs
ISBN: 978-0-9736284-4-9 www.ironedge.info
author Smarten Up! ISBN: 978-0-9736284-3-2 www.smartenup.info
editor: Scott-Free Newsletter www.celiac.com

"Objectivity is the prerogative of objects."