From:
Don and Rachel Matesz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:49:01 -0500
---
From: Rachel Matesz <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Recipients of PALEOFOOD digests <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: All great posts
>Date: Wed, Aug 4, 1999, ??  AM

Congratulations to Hans on his great CATCH!  Ha! Ha.  Keep up the good work.
I've read that the rivers and streams in N. America used to be teeming with
fish and that the natives could wade in, reach in, and grap a bite (the
whole fish; actually many bites all at once).  We need to CLEARL CUT the
shopping malls and unnecessary agricultural accoutrements, turn more people
on to the Paleo WOE and WOL.  Simplify, simplify, simplify.  If you haven't
seen the video AFFLUENZA you must get it.    (Who knows you might be a
carrier.  Gotta' nip it in the bud....)  Check the Web... you can order it,
watch it, then turn all your friends on to it.  It fits with the Paleo WOL.
I might add that another important thing is for we, humans to reduce our
numbers.  For all you Paleo women out there--- I suggest looking into
something called Natural Family Planning--no it's not the rhymth method nor
the "gee I think it must be safe" method, nor any of those half-assed
(oops!)  methods.  This is a very systematic and more Paleo than modern
birth control methods.... We must control our human population and make more
room for the animals.  If we keep multiplying like rabbits, there won't be
room enough for all the buffalo and other animals we need to survive as a
species.

Did you know that a low-protein, high carb diet makes humans go to
seed--like plants that are dying!  It's true. Although a Paleo diet can give
you an increased sexual appetite, you will still have better impulse control
than people on low-protein, high-carb third world type diets. People on very
low protein diets diets have poor impulse control due to upset brain
chemistry, due to screwed up (pardon the pun) neurotransmitter levels.  If
anyone want to konw more about it.....my  husband is working on a book and
has an entire chapter on this, complete with references and charts.  Maybe
he'll publish an excerpt on the Paleo Diet Page.  (I'll have him talk to
Dean Esmay and Don Wiss about it.....fascinating subject!!!)

By the way, President Clinton was/is reportedly a fan of Boca Burgers.  OH,
GOD!!!  Is that what got this country into the f-ing mess we're in?  Will
somebody please give him a good steak---at every meal. Get Charles (Hunt) to
go whip the guy into shape.  (By that I mean, teach him how to eat and
exercise and get his mind on something other than emulating the rabbits.)

The Chinese are examples of people starving to death and going to seed.  The
people in India aren't far behind.  No humans can evolve to where they can
flourish on grain based  diet. It's a joke..... a sad one.

>The longest lived people are from Okinawa who eat the MOST meat.

So true!  They eat a much lower carb,higher protein diet than mainland
Japanese or Chinese.  They actually have some measurable DHA in their bodies
and the women have more DHA in their breast milk than those on low-fish,
low-protein, high grain diets.  Btw, vegetarians and vegans have very low
DHA levels in their milk.  And their kids are likely to end up like Linda
McCartney, Aveline Kushi and the rest of the veggie and near veggie clan.
Btw, I knew of a lady who had her family on a vegan (high sugar) diet.  Her
kid was biting other kids..... poor kid. He just wanted a nice piece of
meat.....a little B-12, zinc, iron.....grains, beans.....didn't do it.

Re: those who have an aversion to eating meat.  The longer you don't eat it,
the more your body and taste buds start to malfunction.  If you eat more
meat foods your taste for it will increase.  You could try taking sublingual
zinc.  Many aversions to natural foods and disordered cravings can come from
zinc deficiency.  If you don't like the toughness of cooked meat...... try
ground beef, raw.  I have a great Steak Tartare recipe.  We love it.  (I'm
an ex-vegan. ex-macrobiotic....).  We often eat it for breakfast on a nice
green salad with a (cod liver oil) vinaigrette (I'm serious) or some
homemade mayo.  Fish prepared in the style of Lomi-Lomi or Ceviche is very
tender.  The salmon we buy isn't terribly fatty.  I've eaten very fatty
salmon (I love it), but most that we get contains less fat than dark meat
poultry.  See paleo diet recipes on the net or those compiled in Charles
Hunt's book for the raw fish recipes. If you want my Steak Tartare recipe, I
could be persuaded to post it..... since the book I'm working on (sort of a
Joy of Modern Paleolithic Cooking/Eating book) is still in the works.

I'd also suggest that you just do it.  I'm of the school of thought that
there is no try, only doing.  Do or do not do.  You can tell yourself that
you have to do it, your health depends on it.  Chicken and turkey breast
might be good to start with.....they are softer than COOKED red meat,
provided you don't overcook them as most people do.  Go for medium-rare....

That's all for now.  I got Don going so you'll see some of his stuff soon.

Rachel Matesz