From:
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:06:44 +0930
"Richard Geller [log in to unmask] [kteee/Paleo]" wrote:

> Jim Walsh wrote:
> > I am a 42 yo guy with heart and weight problems. I am not expecting
> miracles from a paleo diet, I just believe giving my body the correct fuel
> should allow it to fix itself as best it can.

[snip]

> Welcome to the list, Jim:

Thank you!

> My $0.02:
>
> paleo = anything except dairy, beans, grains, potatoes, artificial chemical
> additives

But, some beans are also edible raw. (Palatable anyway.)

> Ray says if you can eat it raw with nothing but a sharp stick, it's paleo.
> You don't *have* to eat it raw, but if you *could*, that meets the test.
> Beef is paleo even if you don't eat it raw.

Would that mean that some of those legumes (peas for example) would be okay, on the basis that I find them quite palatable raw?

> White potatoes can't be eated raw in any quantity, so they aren't paleo.
> Some people believe yams and sweet potatoes are paleo because they can
> (apparently) be eaten raw.

How about other root vegetables?
I currently eat a lot of turnips, swedes, and carrots.

[snip]

> I find it hard to eat high carbs on paleo although I never drink fruit juice
> and I am not heavy on the fruit in general.

So far, I'm not counting anything. I'm just trying to completely eliminate foods that could not have existed in stone age times. (Bread, pasta, rice etc.)

I am also *trying* to acquire a tase for some of the green leafies raw. (Silverbeat in particular.) I know that is not *necessary* but intuitively, I feel that maximum benefit ought to be achived from food in its raw (natural) state.

Bye for now,
Jim.