From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:14:02 -0600
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> If you have decayed tissue in your gut
> then you are not long for this world. (Peritonitis.)
[...]
> The stuff
> about them getting lodged, and gut-cleansing, is based on a whole
> industry of misinformation: the colon-cleansing industry.

Hmmm... then how do you explain the stuff that comes out when people do
colon cleanses and fasts?  The "colon cleansing industry" has a lot of
convincing stuff to say.  Not that I believe doing fasts and cleanses
is healthy, actually I think it is extreme.  But I have seen with my
own eyes the old looking fecal matter that can come out when doing a
fasting program.  It is my understanding that the undigested food
(vegans say meat, and I would say cooked meat) gets impacted in the
colon, along with the mucous layers that the body secretes to protect itself.

> On enzymes, the enzymes in food
> are supposed to have a very minor role in digestion.
> Food generally has
> no built-in interest in being digested. Most of us produce plenty of our
> own enzymes to do the job, starting with pepsin in the stomach, then on
> to various pancreatic enzymes, and enzymes secreted by the cells that
> line the small intestine.

This goes contrary to everything I have read in my health research.  I
think enzymes are vital and our bodies are depleated in their
digestive enzymes in order to handle the large amounts of processed
foods we eat during the course of our lives.

Jana