From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:35:50 -0400
On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Gregg Carter wrote:

> Lisa, Don, Hans, and Aaron-- thanks for your input.  Lisa, my weak
> multi-vitamin/multi-minineral supplement (KAL Body Defense Multiple) has
> the RDA of vitamin D, so I don't take any extra; plus, my daily exercise
> routine usually takes me outside and exposes me to a good chunk of
> sunlight, even though I live in the North (Rhode Island).

I'm originally a Rhode Islander myself.  I grew up in Cranston
and then moved to Burrillville, just up the road from Bryant
College.

> But now that I am fairly lean--as I
> have brought up before--I am finding difficulty in refueling my muscles
> after intense exercise without grains.

I wonder why you don't find fruit effective for this.  Fruit
sugars generally include a generous amount of glucose, as well as
fructose.  The glucose ought to go right into those muscle cells.
Even the fructose should get there, only by a more metabolically
roundabout route.

> I am going to start
> experimenting with the reintroduction of a modest amount of grain into
> my diet. My compromise is to go both yeast- and gluten-free, as well as go
> totally organic and to make my own "flat" bread (including grinding my own
> grain just before cooking).  I made my first batch last night: 1 cup
> amaranthus, 1 cup millet, 1 cup quinoa, 1 cup brown rice, 1/2 of each of
> the following ground seeds/nuts:  sesame, sunflower, walnut, almond, flax;
> 2 egg whites.

It seems to me that if you are going to eat grains for this
purpose, the safer and simpler means would simply be to eat some
cooked basmati rice.  Rice, unlike the other grains, doesn't have
to be ground to be edible; it just has to be cooked, so there
would have been a longer time for adaptation.  Basmati rice
supposedly has the lowest glycemic index.  Quinoa is botanically
a fruit and not a grain at all, but I'm not sure how this affects
its impact on the immune system.

Todd Moody