From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 21:26:41 EST
My boyfriend and I have cut out almost all salt from our diets.  I don't add
any salt to food I cook.  Very occasionally I'll add a very small amount of
sea salt at the table--just a bare sprinkle.  We are traveling now (in New
York) and eating out a lot, and we are finding that our taste buds have
gotten very out of sync with the rest of the world.  Since it's pouring, we
just ordered in from a nearby Mexican restaurant.  This restaurant got a
great review in the New York Times, and is highly rated in Zagats.  I ordered
a fajita, and it was so salty I could barely eat it.  I was very hungry so I
ate a large portion of it, and then rinsed the remainder under the faucet.
My boyfriend said his food was too salty, too.  We've also tried nitrate free
sausage, and have found this also to be unbearably salty.

The SAD puts so much salt on food that it wipes out the taste of everything
else.  All you can taste is the salt.  But if you are used to eating salt,
you don't realize this.  I'm sure that if I'd had this same food a year ago,
I'd have thought it was delicious and not even given a thought to the salt.

The SAD has far more salt than paleo diets.  The salt/potassium proportion is
one of the big differences in our modern diet.  It's uncomfortable at first
when you eliminate salt, but it's just like quitting caffeine or refined
sugar.  Once you get off it, you don't miss it.  And if you eat salty foods
after not eating salt for a while, you realize how distorted your taste buds
were before you quit.

I don't know how many on this list have quit using salt, but I highly
recommend it.

     - Sheryl