From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:58:02 +1100
At 8:06 AM -0500 29/1/02, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

>The ratio only list has one drawback:
>It lists all the very best w-3 sources, like Salmon/Cold water fishx,
>but as you see on the amounts, the total amount often is often very small.
>After all a ratio of 1:2 to 1:4 is still good - that's 0.25 in your list.

The script filters out items with less than 0.25% n-3 fats or
less than a 0.4 n-3:n-4 ratio. I guess these figures should be
around the other way :)

I have updated the page with these new limits. Use this URL
to prevent any caching problems accessing the new page:
http://www.juggernaut.com.au/food/omega3.html?1

I have also put back up the page which lists n-3*n-3/n-6 ratios.
This gives a higher weighting to foods with greater quantities of
n-3 fats: http://www.juggernaut.com.au/food/omega3ratio2.html
You'll like the position of flax seeds on that list :)

>Did you consider to weight EPA/DHA higher?

Aah, there's an infinite way of looking at these figures.
I think you need to write your won reporting tool so you
can generate custom lists.

>I also tried to discard non-natural sources, how did you do this?

I have not filtered any type of foods out of the list. I guess
processed foods don't have as much n-3 fats :)

>I added a table with a paleo bit, which I have entered to contain only
>natural and unprocessed food items (plus a few usual like beef).

Well, you could filter on the Food Group column. These ones seem to
be of dubious value:
+---------+-----------------------------------+
| FdGp_Cd | FdGp_Desc                         |
+---------+-----------------------------------+
|     300 | Baby Foods                        |
|     600 | Soups, Sauces, and Gravies        |
|     700 | Sausages and Luncheon Meats       |
|     800 | Breakfast Cereals                 |
|    1400 | Beverages                         |
|    1800 | Baked Products                    |
|    1900 | Sweets                            |
|    2000 | Cereal Grains and Pasta           |
|    2100 | Fast Foods                        |
|    2200 | Meals, Entrees, and Sidedishes    |
|    2500 | Snacks                            |

I often filter out "cooked" as well simply to reduce the number
of results. Mostly when an item has "cooked" in it's description
there is also a corresponding "raw" listing.

>Would you care to share your SQL code?

Sure. It's part of a PHP script, and the code probably only works
on a MySQL database. But you'll get the idea. It's at:
http://www.juggernaut.com.au/food/omega3ratio.php.txt

 ...Richard.