Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:45:52 -0800
Two perspectives on this.  One is that the body WANTS to clean out by
producing mucous and other symptoms, etc.  This detox is a cleansing
episode.  I stopped thinking that one "catches" a cold years ago.
Instead, IMHO, we already have the rhinoviruses in our tissues in a
more-or-less dormant state and then they just gain headway and
strengthen causing the symptoms.  So one way to look at this is to think
about how to "knock them back a bit" if that is your goal.  I tend to
let minor colds have their way with me.

Second perspective is to use some "natural" remedy.  If things get too
intense, I eat unheated honey (3-4 TBsp/4 hours) to keep my lungs clear
and help reduce nasal drip.  I have used Kold Kare tablets which contain
primary ingredient Andrographis paniculata (a shrub).  It reduces
symptoms a great deal and makes the cold more tolerable.  Dietary, raw
fat is a good food to eat during a cold (that includes meat fats,
avocado, heavy, raw cream, butter occasionally) - I know, dairy is not
considered paleo.  Eating very well during a cold helps a lot.  I have
used sitz baths to great advantage when colds get intense (add cream,
milk, sea salt, a little bit of apple cider vinegar to the bath) and
just soak in very hot water for 45 min to an hour every few days or so.

Back to the acceptance of the cold: when the detox is done, I usually
feel much better and healthier (since I've shed a lot of toxins).  This
is one reason that I tend to prefer to "suffer" a cold and let it run
its course.  If I nip it in the bud, it leaves toxins in the body that,
ultimately, reduce my vitality and energy.  I've learned to treat the
cold as a pathway to continued better health, rather than condemn it as
an affliction.

Regards,

-=mark=-

Jack Oughton wrote:
> Hello Everyone
>
> This may seem like a strange question, but is partly to 'blame' by the paleo WOE

(which has made it quite a few years since I actually caught a cold - thus

making me a little rusty at treating it). I have a question though; does
anyone

have any dietary remedies recommended to treat these things as fast as
possible?

I'm not too keen on the drugs and I want this affliction to go away as
it's come a

t a time in my life where I need to be healthy :)