From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:30:14 -0700
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:30:38 -0400, Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:07:27 EDT, Gawen Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>..
>>All I know is what I experience. I realize everything I BELIEVE may be
>>wrong.
>>..
>
>Good statement.
>
>Then, the ancient vedic religion may be sound for you.
>"All believes may be wrong".
>
>Or tibetan buddism.
>
>"Everything is of dream substance".
>
>just an association.
>
>Amadeus

Neither of these statements have anything to do with either the
ancient vedic
religion or tibetan buddhism.

(And, by the way, "All I know is what I experience" is a tautology.)

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 07:07:56 -0400, Todd Moody
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hinduism is about
>liberation from the realm of *maya* or illusion through the
>practice of the various yogas, not about celebrating crops.

Todd, all of your brief synopses of the various religions were
accurate, except
for this one.   For some reason, Hinduism is never portrayed
accurately in
comparative religion texts.

Part of the reason for this is that it is much "bigger" than any of
the other
religions.   For example, one of the sects of Hinduism is "Gaudiya
Vaisnavism",
of which one of the sub-sects is the famous "Hare Krishnas", or more
formally
"Krishna Consciousness".   In actuality, the tenets of Gaudiya
Vaisnavism are
almost identical to the Southern Baptists - making it totally absurd
and
ignorant that people like Pat Robertson sponsor massive conversion
programs for
the "pagans who worship many gods" (which is thereby an entirely false
characterization).  Gaudiya Vaisnavites consider "liberation from the
realm of
illusion" to be an absurd concept, as they are eagerly looking forward
to being
in heaven with God.

Anyway, many people (including the Gaudiya Vaisnavites) dispute the
existence of
a single religion called "Hinduism".

--
Cheers,