From:
Jan Harkness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:49:25 -0800
I am not one of the technical or educated members of this list, but I do
learn from it and do like to participate from time to time.  Regarding wild
fruits, we have a mining claim near a ghost settlement that was settled in
the 1800's.  Along the river are some old apricot trees.  The apricots are
about the size of nickels or penneys and are not very sweet.  These trees
had to come up from seeds, not planted by the former residents, because they
are not in that sort of location.  The town was torn up and "moved" in 1908.
So, how close to paleo could these be?  They have obviously survived
infestations of bugs or fungus or whatever, so are hearty.  I know they
aren't indigenous, so aren't truly paleo.  I can see how early man could
have enjoyed these for a few weeks during the summer.  I do!
Enough rambling, Jan