From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:26:24 +0100

Ben Balzer wrote:
>BUT IN A GIVEN INDIVIDUAL an increase in adult brain size would be
>expeted  to have a positive effect on IQ.
But how would you want to increase the brain size of a given

individual?
Brain size is limited by the size of the skull.
And more important: the count of the neurons is growing only in the
first 3 months after birth - after that neurons are decreasing....
So nutrition could only influence effective brain growth up to the
age of 3 months.

>.. ie if you or Einstein were better
>nourished such that your brain size increased by 10% would
>your and his IQ go up?
So, I don't see a way to accomplish this...

>Not only would it be bigger but by being better nourished
>it would be of better structural quality.
Yes, I think this is the best way to consider enhancings of the
brain functions. A better structural quality.
There are some nutritional influences we know.

Avoiding heavy metals, of course. Lead from car fuels and
mercury from accumulating animal organs/fish and toothe fillings
are a good example.

Then we know that brain has a considerable fuel requirement of
about 500kcal per day, in form of glucose.
This can't be satisfied by sweets because B-vitamins are needed.
But fruit or any calorie from an unprocessed plant will provide it.
Or the protein of about 500g meat per day converted by

gluconeogenesis.
Though i seems to be "fashion" (here) I prefer not to consider the

fuel sparing and fat burning properties of a ketosis..

Next is w-3 fats. It is reported that the w-3 fat DHA makes up a
structural and funtional better (faster) structure than w-6

derivates.

Much influence on brain function seems to come from kidney deseases.
They can elevate some blood components wich make an angry and dizzy
head or headaches. Reason to keep the kidneys in good shape.

From time to time i see reports here, from influences in the diet,
which can cause dizzyness headache and strage feelings.
Dizzyness and lightheadedness is reported from low glucose levels.
It seems to me that there are many imune or auto-imune or
allergic reactions that can impair brain function.

At last a personal immpression.
Nutrition can contribute big steps towards a sharp and clear mind.
This may be a prerequisite for a good intellectual function.
But intellectual capability is promoted by other things.
Permanent good stimulus, exercise and speech for example.
The high I.Q. is a measurement of one intellectual dimension only,
IMO.

regards
Amadeus

--