From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:50:34 -0400
Trish, I'll just throw some things out there. I'm not a doctor, and don't
have time to research in depth, so just based on what I know:
1. I assume you're already on metformin. AFAIK, you should be on metformin
immediately, and maybe insulin. But both of those should be temporary,
until you can get the blood sugar down. The high blood sugar can be very
damaging. I think it can kill the islet cells, the beta cells that produce
insulin, converting you from type 2 to type 1.
2. What's all this talk about potatoes? Don't you need to be on a lowish
protein, very low carb, very high fat diet? Of course, if you still have
significant excess body fat stores, those can provide a lot of the "high
fat diet" if you maintain a calorie deficit. In that case, you need to be
careful to get plenty of salt, potassium, and other electrolytes.
3. Get a C-peptide test to see if you're still producing your own insulin.
4. I hear good things about Bernstein's books. Try to find a doctor who
agrees with this approach.
5. If you can't find a good doctor, just do the best you can with the one
you have. Use him to get the metformin, the tests, and a glucose monitor.
Just ignore the dietary advice!
6. Check out a continuous glucose monitor to find out what spikes your
sugar.
7. Avoid cheese and nuts, fructose, and alcohol.
8. Look into getting various thyroid and adrenal hormone tests.
9. Supplement with D3, K2-mk4, iodine, magnesium, krill oil.

This is largely what my SIL did. She followed this advice, rather than her
doctor's. FBG was over 300, A1C was over 10. Now, after losing 70 pounds,
her doctor, who is seriously impressed, says her diabetes is gone without a
trace. With no exercise. After that you can start playing around with "safe
starches" and other refinements.

Hilary