From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:38:42 -0500
They eat some meat, not necessarily tons of it. They need to eat meat to
survive the harsh environment. Since they are buddhists they are not
supposed to kill. In some place there are Muslim butchers, but there
aren't a lot of Muslims in Tibet, so in many places the local lama will
give special permission to one family to do slaughtering for the benefit
of the neighborhood. They eat a lot of yogurt and butter. They also eat
a lot of barley and have a lot of health problems, probably because of
it. There's a fair amount of diabetes, heart disease, high blood
pressure, bad teeth, and tons of other problems that go untreated and
keep them from living very long, in general. They've had relatively
little time to adapt to grain diets. The Tibetans living in India eat a
lot of rice and have even worse health problems, although better health
care than the ones still living in Tibet. They eat big bowls of white
rice at every meal. As far as tantric buddhism is concerned, the ritual
meat consumption is symbolic, as is the alcohol. These are sometimes
represented by token amounts, or larger amounts, but are not needed at
all since they can just be visualized or represented symbolically. There
is no actual animal sacrifice.