From:
Kendra_&_Karen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:01:03 -0600
> I'd really like a specific recipe and procedure for pemmican from someone
> who's done it successfully. I think others would like this, too.
> Sasha

There is nothing to it ....

We get 5 to 10 lbs. lean meat from our local butcher (already sliced),
dehydrate plain meat over night (no seasonings or anything),

Put dried meat in Vitamix (low speed), strong blender or food processor to
powder the meat and put in large glass mixing bowl, (be patient ... it can take
a while, we powder ours very fine due to a toddler eating the pemmican, if
larger pieces are left they can stick in his gums, we use this powder in other
recipes and sometimes in fresh squeezed orange juice for a protein boost).

We get 10 lbs suet from our local butcher (already ground),
render on low/medium heat and remove cracklings then pour remainder through
a tea strainer into glass storage bowl.  Be sure not to let it boil, smoke or
scorch.   (be patient ... it can take a while also.  We only render ours one
time)

Once rendered suet has cooled but not solidified ladle or pour onto powdered
jerky.  We add slowly and stir until the powder absorbs all the fat and only a
little is visible on top.  Sometimes we like to use a little more fat and
sometimes we like it a little dryer so we use less.  Consistency should be able
to form a ball or patty.  When it cools it will really harden.  We do not form
patties, we leave it in the glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap or lid.  We
spoon it out as necessary.  We eat a lot ;-} ;-}.

We do not add dried fruits, nuts or spices, although you can.  We prefer ours
plain although we did have some of Ray's at his book signing with dried cherries
in it and boy was it good.  We think if it is too good, we would eat it all too
quickly. <G>

We store any extra rendered suet in the fridge until we are ready to make more.
We heat it up on the stove on low heat and let cool before pouring on powdered
meat.  Sometimes we even have the powdered jerky on hand and a batch is easy to
stir up with the ingredients handy.  Sometimes we eat a spoonful of the rendered
suet plain, it is really good.  Hope this helps.

Kendra and Karen
NeanderTwins