From:
Louise Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:28:27 -0500
The whole quote was "Bechamp avait reason, le microbe n'est rien , c'est
 le terrain qui est tout."

Translation: "Bechamp was right, the germ is nothing,
it's the terrain [environment...in the sense of host]
that is everything."

This is Pasteur's deathbed recantation of his life's work. "Pasteurization"
is therefore an ironic joke because the inventor himself finally concluded
it was useless to kill the germs, but the importance was to keep a healthy
body instead {my interpretation}.