Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 22:13:27 -0600
william wrote:
> Alec Wood wrote:
>> This requires you to believe the Peak Oil Myth, Because without it
>> they couldn't get away charging $5.00 a gallon for gas.
>> There is enough oil for about another 200 years.
> There is also the story that oil is not a fossil fuel, but rather a
> product of geological process; if true, we will never run out of it.
>
> William

There is an entire book on this subject and a test well was dug based on
the geological parameters and oil was extracted.  The real problems is
that this additional oil, most likely orders of magnitude more than
known reserves,  is deep deep deep.

Utah, alone, depending on estimates of extractable oil, has between 800
billion to 2 trillion barrels of oil.  The cost of extracting it ranges
from $30 to $60 dollars US a barrel.  Land is in the process of being
leased from the Bureau of Land Management to get pilot plants on line.
The price of oil has only recently been above the price needed to become
profitable and with the likelihood the price will continue to exceed $60
USD, production is going to begin.  No one wants to invest billions of
dollars into new plants when the price of oil might decrease.  Canada is
already producing oil from tar shale.  The hold up in the USA is that
"interested parties" have prevented access to the tar shale.

There's also Methane hydrate under the ocean with current estimates of
5000 trillion cubic feet, not an insignificant amount.

There are crops that are energy/oil dense that have several hundred
percent better return than growing corn.  The "corn" lobby has obviously
done their jog.

Peal oil (or should we say peak fuel) is a worse than a myth.  Myths
have value.

There once was a prediction that New York city would become cover with
manure because of all the transportation needs.  We know how that
prediction faired.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, '*The reports of  the death of fuel supplies
are greatly exaggerated."

*Steve