From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2014 06:24:37 -0500
Low carb Paleo-style diets beat low-fat for weight loss: Calorie myth debunked
http://www.examiner.com/article/time-magazine-debunks-calorie-myth-low-carb-paleo-style-diet-aids-weight-loss
I wonder how much of the success of Paleo is because of the elimination of *processed* carbs.  I’ve had very good results in weight loss and blood chemistry numbers on a very low carb diet, and I’ve had even more impressive results on a more macrobiotic style diet.  The two are almost completely opposite in their approach (the former preferring more meat and less grains, and the latter preferring more grains and less meat), but they do share one major thing in common:  the elimination of processed foods.  The article linked above also mentions that highly processed carbs are more problematic than more natural ones.  The idea is espoused that “a calorie isn’t just a calorie” and that it matters where the calories come from.  If this is true (and I believe it is), and it matters whether that calorie comes from a piece of meat or a grain of rice, then surely it also matters whether that calorie comes from a sweet potato, or a sugar-coated bit of white flour.

--
Robert Kesterson