From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2013 12:19:47 -0700
> Diane, Have you read Lierre Keith's book "The Vegetarian Myth"?  I
> believe that she mentions in there that veganism damaged her thyroid
> function.  She also talks about how she restored her health.  Paula H.

Yes, a good read, that got me started on the journey, Paula.That's the book
which convinced me that being vegetarian might not be in my best interests.
 -Diane
[Ron] Hi Paula and Diane,
Lierre Keith's book is not well researched if you are looking for citations
to peer reviewed literature, etc. to support each of her claims. However, if
you are looking for personal, practical knowledge gleaned from hard
experience, I think that Keith's book is excellent. I have never been vegan
or vegetarian, and have never been tempted. Nonetheless, Keith offered me
some insights that might not have been possible in a research-based work. I
enjoyed it very much, learned from it, and remain skeptical of some of her
claims. In fact, I have yet to read any non-fiction book that didn't leave
me at least a little skeptical about some elements. My wife says that I'm a
curmudgeon but I think I am just cynical, suspicious, untrusting, and not at
all cranky. :-)
best wishes,
Ron