From:
Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:16:14 -0700
>There's plenty of vitamin C in fresh foods. Vitamin C is highly overrated.
>People who develop scurvy are people who don't have access to fresh foods,
>like people who go to sea for months on end (who would bring limes with them
>to prevent this condition, hence the pirate term "limeys") Just eat fresh
>fruits and veggies and you'll be FINE. Cooking destroys vitamin C, as I am
>sure you are aware.
>
>Best wishes,
>Stacie

Hmm... I'm cautious about telling anybody how much C is "enough",
because
"enough" varies considerably. The dosage to prevent scurvy is small,
but
that may not be optimum. C is essential for building collagen, so
anybody
doing serious work - like lifting weights - is going to need plenty of
C to
repair used-up tissue. From my own experience, all I can say is that
about
a gram of C an hour, with a liter of water an hour, seemed to finish
off my
most recent cold in record time. Your mileage may vary.

Mike