From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:22:05 EST
Dorothy wrote:
> From this stand point, can you explain to me why the ONLY carb I ever crave
is...(you guessed it)...chocolate.

Chocolate has a whole bunch of other interesting chemicals that affect the
brain.  One of these is the same chemical that is naturally produced by the
brain when we are in love, and is in too short supply when we are feeling
heartbroken or unloved.  Thus chocolate--physiologically!--helps you feel
better when you're heartbroken or feeling unloved.

For some reason, chocolate is a woman's thing--men don't react the same way
to it.  I don't know why.  I bought a very interesting book on chocolate
("The True History of Chocolate" by Sophie and Michael Coe), but haven't had
time to read much of it yet.  I've been buried under a mountain of work.

Re cravings in general... It's hard to distinguish between addictive cravings
and body wisdom, but it *is* possible!  Once you have experienced them both
in a clear way, you will be able to tell them apart.

     - Sheryl