Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:59:51 -0700
Off topic, but hopefully interesting (re: Vitamin A).
I saw a show on PBS about people who had survived extreme ordeals.
One fellow was shipwrecked (or some such) and survived on a raft for what I seem to remember to be weeks.
He told a compelling story.  In the beginning, he caught fish and ate only the flesh, raw discarding the remainder.  After some time (don't remember how long), he came to crave the eyes of the fish.  He talked about how he would frantically devour the eyes and didn't care about the rest of the fish.  He just kept trying to catch fish for the eyes.  It was all he wanted.
The narrator described this as a vitamin A deficiency.  (there was also a similar story from a man caught in a cave).  Apparently, if you are sufficiently deficient in something like vitamin A, you will crave a food that previously you found disgusting.
Sometimes I get strange cravings that I can't quite identify, wandering about the house thinking, "what is it that I want?" knowing I want something, but not quite able to identify it.  Perhaps I should go outside and examine worms, insects or other creatures when I find myself in that state - perhaps allowing my limbic brain (or instinct) to override my frontal cortex!
gale