From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 15:06:02 -0700
On Saturday, May 8, 2004, at 07:28 PM, Rose wrote:

> Hi.  I'm a new list member.
>
> I'm confused about two things.  Oils, and calcium.
>
> Can you all tell me what fats you use, and why?  Specifically I've
> seen where some people say yes to coconut oil, and others say no.
> Flaxseed oil?  Fish oil capsules?  Cod liver oil?  Canola?  Ray Peets,
> Enig, Cordain, etc---who do you go by?

Ha ha ha. Can you say 'minefield'? Not to make a joke of your
questions, but this is one area of wide disagreement on this list. Some
people take a puritan approach and others not. I used to take lots of
fish oil supplements, but now don't much except to use up what I
already had. I never tried flax oil except once, it was so awful
tasting I put it aside for woodworking projects!

 From a puritan paleo perspective all vegetable oil extracts are out,
only animal fats were concentrated enough to extract and use. But for
myself I don't worry about that, I use mainly olive oil to cook,
occasionally butter or sesame oil for more flavor. It seems to work OK.
I would use coconut oil if I could find some here. My wife cooks with
other oils, so I sometimes eat them, I don't worry about it.

Personally I think if you eat meat and fish you are probably getting
plenty of fats from a dietary standpoint. Different meats have very
different fats. Try to get variety. Add in things like avocados,
olives, coconut etc for more variety.

> The other issue for me is calcium.

Sorry, not much to say here. Somebody...?