From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 12:32:46 -0400
Not entirely true.  While the spices themselves do not contain gluten, it
is often added.  MSG, for example, shows up in lots of commercial spice
preparations, and isn't honestly listed on many labels.  Why?  Because it's
perfectly legal (for some infuriating reason) to lump MSG under the
headings "spices", "flavorings", or even "natural flavorings"!

Almost any seasoning mix will have some kind of starch added, and most have
gluten in some form or another.  On the ones where it's not listed straight
out on the label, I've done the only other test.  I ate some.  So far, I
cannot recommend a single blend of seasonings.  Spices are a little better.
 Usually dried green stuff is ok, but look out with powdered seasonings
like chili powder or paprika, etc.  These are often cut with starch.

Quite frankly, all I've been able to find in the way of a "seasoning" is a
particular brand of garlic salt.  No meat tenderizers, no rubs, no
seasoning blends, all are contaminated that I've tried.  So be careful.

Take care,
John Pavao
>How do we find gluten free spices?

As far as I have ever heard there is no gluten in spices