From:
Neil Abrahams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 05:18:46 -0800
Hello.  I'm new to the paleodiet, but have known for some time about
phytase in wheat and protein inhibitors in soy, though believed what I'd
read about fermentation and cooking dealing effectively with those
problems.  I've used whole wheat bread to alter the way I feel,
specifically, to make my feel better.  I know that, ideally, I should be
able to substitute activities for whatever emotional needs I've used
foods to fulfill.  That, in itself, doesn't seem possible for me right
now, due to the circumstances of my life.  But it apparently goes
deeper, to a biochemical level.  You've probably heard about warm milk
in the evening, carbohydrate, too, supposedly helps, by increasing
serotonin levels, and I believe my serotonin levels are unusually low.
So what's the harm in having a bowl or two of parboiled white rice, or
some no-fat yogurt, to help me feel better.  I'm naturally thin, so too
many calories isn't now a concern.  After all, rice is ubiquitous in the
Eastern hemisphere, and the traditional Japanese diet, at least, is
considered healthful.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.