From:
Joseph Berne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:52:31 -0500
 I've been IFing for 2 years now. I can't speak to the whole idea of
cleansing or detoxifying (I don't personally buy into those), but do it more
for help with insulin management (going long periods with, in theory, lower
insulin levels) and alertness.  I found it easy to exercise and function on
no food after a short adjustment period.

Try reading "The Warrior Diet" - I don't agree with everything in it, but it
describes a type of intermittent fasting.  Google Fast-5 for a free ebook
about daily IF (fasting for a period of time each day, as opposed to ADF,
where one fasts for a full day, then eats for a day, etc.)  There is a blog
called leangains (Ithink it's on blogspot) on using IF to control body
composition.  Rob Wolf has a bunch of posts on his blog and at
crossfit.comabout IF and exercise.  Art Devany talks about it a lot,
but I'm not sure
how much of his content is still free.  Michael Eades discussed IF a couple
of times on his blog, but has backed off a little recently.

I apologize for not having links, I'm writing from work and my access to the
internet is spotty and controlled by a very aggressive filter :(

Most IF people advocate keeping fasts inside 36 hours to avoid muscle
wasting.  I've had no trouble building muscle on a 20/4 split.  If you need
more info, please e-mail and I'll work on it tonight.

From a paleo perspective, the conventional wisdom that we can't peform
athletically unless we eat every 3 hours doesn't really make sense - would
we really have evolved to be poor hunters when hungry?  It seems more likely
that our ability to hunt would be enhanced when we're most likely to want to
hunt - when our bellies are empty!

I still remember my first 90 minute sparring class on ADF - not fun!  Now
it's no problem, though.

--
Visit my Training blog:
http://karateconditioning.supersized.org