Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:17:37 -0400
"Anna L. Abrante" wrote:
> In regards to the dairy consumption, Todd Moody (If I remember correctly)
> added
> a post not too long ago about the idea that suckling young mammals would have
> been relatively easy to catch in the wild, and as such, were likely targets
> for the
> hunter.  And that since it's common for hunters to consume the stomach
> contents
> of their kill first, the likelihood of fermented milk being consumed was
> probably
> very high.  I don't recall any responses to his post even though what he was
> saying
> was very significant.  Anyone want to comment on this?? I personally have no
> physical problems with milk products.

I guess there are several points here:
1) While it would not be an impossible event, it certainly does not create a
major source for dairy (think of the total likely amount consumed from such
sources in a year, given the periods of lactation, frequency of catching a young
but large enough animal, catching it with its stomach full, etc.). Thus it
somewhat fails the 'adapted to' test (which is a food humans ate long and
frequently enough to become adapted to).

2) Dairy products from mamals NOT fed grains appear to be different. Human
milk is not a problem unless the mother is ingesting non-paleo foods. Some
people tolerate goat milk (not usually grain/corn fed) a lot better than
cows milk.

3) Partially digested milk may have much of its protein contents digested
to peptides that don't cause problems for us.

Ilya