From:
D L Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:03:45 +0000
>From: Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
>The only way to eat nuts is the Palaeo way: crack each one open from the
>shell when you need it, using nuts from the current season.  Don't store
>them removed from their shell.  Don't buy them with the shell removed in
>plastic (the oil in the nuts may draw out the phthaltes from the plastic).
>
>Walnuts and macadamias are pretty safe in terms of omega 3 and omega 6
>ratios.  Get walnuts which have not had their shells bleached (sadly most
>have) the bleaching is wholly cosmetic and uses chemicals that can only
>harm the nut meat.

We do stay away from processing of any kind whenever we can.  I've found it
necessary to determine whether I've actually reacted to a food or to
something done to the food during handling or processing.   Unfortunately,
what I have right now is chestnut flour, so I'm a long way from being able
to eat them one at a time from the shell!

I didn't know about walnut shells being bleached.  It's amazing to learn how
much might have been done to your food even when you think you're buying it
in its raw, natural state!

Deborah