From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:00:48 -0500
On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> Humans need much higher energy to protein ration than animals provide.
> (where is the 80%fat, 20%meat deer?).

Ray has pointed out that certain animals, if killed at the right
time in their yearly cycle of fat deposition and usage, will
provide this ratio.  I believe he mentioned moose, killed in late
fall, as an example.

When fatty animals were not available, it would have been
necessary to leave much muscle uneaten and to scramble to find
carbohydrates.

Question: We hear that when marrow and organ fats were carefully
and thoroughly eaten, excess muscle meat was given to the dogs.
But don't dogs also experience "rabbit starvation" if they don't
get enough fat, or are they in fact adapted to a lower fat,
higher protein diet, as a result of their partnership with
humans?

Todd Moody