From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 07:49:53 -0400
Hello all,
to my posting:
>In my opinion, any nutrition that doesn't provide *all* the essentials you
need
>can never be a nutrition we are adapted to from our anchestors.
>If you need pills, you aren't paleo.
Mark mentioned privately that
a Dr. Wallach in his tape "Dead Doctors Don't Lie"
makes the mineral depleted soil responsible for the fact, that todays
food
items
no longer contain the adequate minerals.
I can only underline this opinion and think it concerns more the
minerals as
the
vitamis. Vitamin contents will probably decrease only if the plants
suffer
very much from the mineral depletion.
And it concerns crop-fed animals as well as the crop itself, btw..

This is seems to me to be a problem of
 the non-organic agriculture.
In an organic agricultire all of the bio-mass taken away from the soil
will
return to it a little later in the form of compost or similars.

Non-organic agricultire on the contrary gives back to the soil only
two or
three
things (nitrogen , magnesium..) that provoke rapid growth and deplete
the
soils
from the many other things needed for building up healthy plants.
Selenium, mangane, copper, iron - many elements from the periodic
system.
After turning around the soil by plowing to reach the deeper layers,
built
in the
last 10000 years, the plants become suffering and "greedy" after the
minerals.

Meat production using "power food" increases or multiplies that
problem
because the animal farmers import very much power food like soy or
grain from already depleted soils. Most meat is produced in this way.
In this way the animals get the same mineral lackings as the food
plants
have.
Org
anic meat should be different, because (at least over here) farmers
ought to
feed their animals only with their own organic crops.
This is also annother reason for preferring wild game.

As a summary i'd say that supplements shouldn't be necessary even for
minerals
as long as we stick to organic grown or wildlife food items.

I'd still count it as an indicator for a not real paleolithic or
adapted
nutrition if we encounter vitamin shortages with our food composition.

Thanks Mark for mentioning that copper supplement may be good for
the color of grey-turning hair.
I'll take a look after plants rich in copper.

regards
Amadeus