From:
Inci Willard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:14:54 -0400
What are sickle pears? Never heard of that<<

Tom,

They are small reddish pears and are delicious. When I get into mood for
canning (very rare occurrence),I can raw sickle pears in rum and water
without any added sugar since they are very sweet.
Some nurseries carry the hybrid variety ,our tree here  is about 100+ years
old. I will take a picture of it,fruits are still in immature state and will
be edible by mid August and that will give you an idea.

Ah,those pesky Canadian thistles. I go out there every day and hack them to
bits by their roots. I finally managed to clear of a whole 1 acre but
working on it for 4 years,you also have to work on the soil to enrich it and
try a thick cover of clover which you can turn it down for further soil
improvement and nitrogen prior to planting your garden. I've been saving and
planting purslane seeds around any bare unused areas. They make a delicious
cold dishes or added to salads.

Do your parents raises any livestock on their farm?

Regards,

Inci