Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:16:00 -0400
I live in the vast boreal forest of Eastern Canada, 1½ hours north of
Ottawa, and 8 km from the nearest village.
It's cottage country because of the lakes.  This is a second or third
growth forest, and of course a wild forest. The only manmade vegetation is
planted by my (none close) neighbours in truckloads of imported dirt, and
there are two small patches of perennial flowers on my place.
It's a little old log cabin, heated with wood. There's electric backup
heat so my sauerkraut doesn't freeze when I'm away in the winter.

The squirrels get almost all the raspberries, there are lots on my place
but not elsewhere since it's the only open area. There are deer, and one
rabbit, predators visit maybe twice per winter. Mice; bats which live
somwhere in my house and no longer disturb my sleep since I was given a 17
year old calico cat 12 days ago.
The local food seems to be fish, deer, spruce partridge/ruffed grouse,
beaver, ducks and mice.
Food is not plentiful in the deep thick forest.

William