From:
Persephone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:33:11 -0500
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:31:10 -0700, Scott Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I've experienced exactly the same thing when eating
>gluten or casein (dairy protein): depression, anxiety,
>sleepiness, inability to concentrate, and poor
>short-term memory.  You know, I was just reading a
>research paper by S. Boyd Eaton titled "Evolution,
>Diet and Health".  In it, he writes:

> <snipped>

Hello Scott,

You're talking my language ;-)

I keep my omega-6's low and eat plenty of fatty fish and walnuts etc. I've
been taking fish oil capsules for five years now, and as well as keeping
my mood in balance, I haven't had so much as a cold in all that time.
Previously I had all kinds of respiratory illnesses, and nearly died of
pneumonia eight years ago. Co-incidence maybe, as at the same time that I
started taking the fish oils, I also decided that married life was not for
me, which removed a lot of stress ;-)

There's a lot of interest in my part of the world in nutritional
approaches to all kinds of mental disorders. Sadly, few doctors take this
approach seriously. I would never advocate using nutrition as a sole means
of treating serious mental illnesses, but it can replace medication and
psychotherapy etc in lesser disorders, and reduce the need for pills in
more intractable cases. Just my opinion based solely on anecdotal
evidence, of course.

I learned a lot about fatty acids at uni in the past. But I've mentioned
that to you off list, so I won't repeat it here.

Do you take fish oil supplements, or do you rely on dietary sources?

Many thanks for the reference. I'm off to read it now.

Cheers,

Persephone