From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:05:33 -0800
In the local fish section of the stores in Los Angeles,
I believe that all "Atlantic" salmon is farmed, as is virtually all
catfish and trout and talapia.

Snapper is usually wild. Swordfish and tuna and monkfish are wild. Most
snapper we get is not fresh enough to bother with. I don't know why this
is, but it is usually just not fresh enough.

Fish should not have a fishy odor at all. Exception is if you get it
home and it's been wrapped in plastic, it may have a slight odor at that
point. When I buy fish, I always insist on *smelling it first*. The fish
people let me do that, and if it smells at all fishy, I don't buy it.

The Asian markets are good sources of fish. If you can get whole fish,
it's usually fresher, and you can inspect the entire fish. You can get
them to clean it for you if you want.

I don't believe that most sole is farmed. Sole is a very delicate fish
and I have found that it can become gross and sort of mucous-y when
cooked, which is why the best way to cook it (I don't do it this way
though) is to dredge in flour and pan fry.  I don't know how to cook it
without using flour, and since I don't use flour, I don't cook sole :-)

--Richard