From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:27:59 +0100
Thanks for telling me. I'm not too worried re pigs being fed on a little grain.  After all, as you say, pigs are omnivorous in the wild and do occasionally eat grains - it's just that all the pig-farmers I've talked to seem to imply that they feed their pigs on a practically 100%-grain-diet, which is obviously a bad idea.

Geoff

 "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognised. In the first it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, and in the third it is regarded as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer.

> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:11:48 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Grass-fed meat       [wasNewbie Question - Organ Meats]
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Re 'The Ginger Pig'... oh dear!!!
>
> Just visited their web site http://www.thegingerpig.co.uk/ ... found the following statement re their 140 strong herd of Longhorn cattle... "They are fed almost exclusively on fresh grass from our fields and finished on our own barley and a little molasses"... this is in total contradiction the info given to me by the farmer himself a good few years ago... he even told me a horror story of how he lost a couple of Longhorn bulls or so to grain which was scattered in the fields for pheasant shooting just before he bought the farm...
>
> OTOH... pigs are omnivores so possibly their pork, which IS the tastiest I've ever eaten, is OK...
>
> Looks like 'Wild Beef' at Borough might be a better option... hope theirs are still exclusively grass-fed...
>
> Dedy

The John Lewis Clearance - save up to 50% with FREE delivery
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719806/direct/01/