From:
Alec Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:49:05 -0700
To be honest I am not sure how I feel about the Cholesterol issue for adults. But cholesterol and fat are necessary for proper brain and nerve development in children.  Mother's milk is higher in fat and cholesterol than commercial whole cows milk.

But, "...an influential doctors group is recommending that some children as young as 8 be given cholesterol-fighting drugs to ward off future heart problems."

"The academy also recommends low-fat milk for 1-year-olds and wider cholesterol testing."

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080707/D91OVSJ00.html

Perhaps these idiots should look at mother's breast milk before making such stupid and dangerous recommendations.  In past times (150 years ago) and I am sure in paleo times mothers would breast feed until 3 to 5 years old.

So lets look at 1 cup of mother's milk vs what we call whole milk.

Mother's Milk:

172 calories
10.77 grams of fat, 4.9 grams are saturated fat.
34 mg of cholesterol
3 grams protein
17 grams of carbs

Whole Milk (3.25% fat)
146 calories
7.93 grams total fat, 4.5 grams saturated.
24 mg cholesterol
7.86 grams of protein.
12.83 grams of carbs
My source: United States Department of Agriculture, Nutrient Data Laboratory, Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Revision 20.