From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 07:23:49 +1000
  > Great reading, isn't it?

not for our purposes unfortunately.

> It's correct that they see the animals as the main staple.
> There is reason for this: the areas which are left to aboriginals now, dry
> outback are, in short desert.

this is a ludicrous comment. aborigines did, and do, live all over the
continent. aborigines lived on the coast, in the foothills etc etc.

> However I noticed from the Tables (Table 1) that the plant foods were
great
> nutritive food items. You can take whatever and mix like you want and is
> available, you'll end up in a nutrition good in protein, carbs, vitamins.

well, show me. give me a daily food intake. apart from the use of acacia
seeds, i doubt this is possible.   so give me a daily meal plan w/o acacia
seeds of only plant foods.

> The biggest problem would be the macronutients with the protein part
> probably approaching some physiological limits.

show why. what i have shown is that using animals caught in their preferred
state they get heaps of fat and whatever protein they need or want.

> Why should they have stressed themselves so much when there a great
> macadamias, fruit, and legumes available.
>
> I suppose that such a egg sitting male emu would plan to use up his fat
> himself. The fat would be there only in the first egg-sitting day and then
> some time later go to zero.

yes, 6 months later. that gives several months to get them. even with 1kg of
fat, there is 9000 calories. a feast for a family. let alone the eggs, 20-50
each emu at 500 grams each. plus 30kg of meat. an enormous bounty.

> >in the case of grubs, as you somewhat
> >derisively call them, i read it was considered 6 gives enough energy for
> >the day [seems a bit too little to me].
>
> And apparently for bigger animals, may they be huntergather-like or not
> (farmed animals) only I despise them and you like them.

i think the problem here is you dont want to face facts. there is no current
basis for the 23% figure. what we do know is the aborigines had a wide range
of fatty animal foods from which they could obtain 100% of calories in good
conditions. one good yellowbelly could feed one person, one eel can feed
ten, one emu can feed 50, birds and their eggs of all kinds in unfathomable
numbers [eg 10,000 in one billabong]. in contrast, few parts of the
continent are fertile for plant growth. the oft-quoted tubers, according to
Holt, provide an avergae of 2 grams of protein and 22 grams of carbohydrate
per 100 grams, of which an undetermined amount is the inedible inulin.
relying on tubers to survive would be a far worse proposition than corn.

andrew