From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:21:38 +0000
On Dec 16, 2005, at 8:09 pm, Aria Nadii wrote:

> When I was first diagnosed with Type 2, I was put on the so
> called diabetic McDougall diet which is a low fat vegetarian
> diet that is not only high carb but extremely high starch. Of
> course, I gained a ton of weight, had no energy, was severly
> depressed and my condition deteriorated. I figured out pretty
> quickly that I should find an alternative on my own.

Hi Aria

I don't think you're along in searching for better solutions.  I
don't think there are many people left who actually believe in their
heart that modern medicine works- at least not among people who have
ever been chronically ill!  I suppose from your doctor's point of
view, though, you were a success.  I mean, you never went back so you
must have been cured :D

> The McDougall diet actually removed the only foods I was
> eating that were the least bit healthy and digestible and had me
> eating popcorn with (ugh) margarine for breakfast. The attitude
> of most doctors to diabetes is to stuff the patient full of low fat
> (re: fake) high starch food and get them addicted to medication
> ASAP.
>
> I'm determined to keep my attitude of pronoia and avoid the
> more conspiracy minded view of established medicine but that
> experience did test my limit. :/

Can I ask how your diabetes is now you're eating right?  Does it
still cause problems or does eating low-carb mean you stay healthy?
I ask because my boss is now eating paleo, and he has a history of
diabetes in the family.  His wife works in health care and she
believes that once diabetes has started you should start counting
your days.  I've always assumed that if it's caught fairly early,
avoiding carbs will prevent any deterioration.  Do you know if either
of us is right?

Ashley