From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:50:08 -0800
Hi Paleo Phil and Paleophiles!:

>I've never heard someone make the claim that tobacco smoking is natural or
>healthy and I agree that just because something was done before the
>Neolithic doesn't make it so.

In the Book, Young Again, John Thomas talks about Tobacco:

The Sacred 3 Sisters

First the Creator gave us tobacco - Kanonsionni-Kayeneren-Kowa
The Iroquois

When the white man came to the Americas, he discovered that the main
staples of the Indian diet were corn, beans and squash. The Indians
called these foods the 'scared three sisters'.
The Indians understood the importance of these foods in their diet.
They also understood the importance of another FOOD - a food which
they held in the utmost esteem. That food was TOBACCO.
The Indians considered tobacco sacred. It was considered sacred
because the Indians had discovered tobacco's NUTRITIONAL
characteristics. Their discovery was incorporated into their religious beliefs.
The status of tobacco in the Indian psyche was based on DIETARY need,
but it was respected on a religious level. Smoking was the extension
of the dietary status tobacco held in the Indian's culture.
When native peoples elevate certain foods and events to religious
status, there is a reason. Unfortunately for millions of people, the
white man failed to take his cues from Indian dietary habit and
religious beliefs. The white man did NOT make the connection between
diet and health until four hundred and ninety-eight years later (1990)....

Mr. Thomas includes how the term, 'red neck', came about:

In 1735 the Spanish physician Casal described a disease condition by
one of its key SIGNS. He called it mal de la rosa. This means 'red
sickness'. People on farms who ate a lot of corn suffered the most.
They typically had a red ring around their neck which came to be
called 'Casal's necklace'. In the American south, corn's dominance
among farmers and the poor, caused the phrase 'red neck' to come into usage.

He then discusses pellagra's signs  - dizziness, depression, dementia
and delusion - caused by using corn without balancing it with
tobacco's vitamins that include B-12. Tobacco is the richest source
of the B's in the world - nothing compares to it - nothing!
Concentrations of the B-complex vitamins run as high as 30%.

 From the turn of the century, nicotinic acid was known under the
disguise name - P-P factor, short for Pellgra Preventive. This name
was used until the generation then alive had died. Later in the
1930's when the word vitamin was coined, P-P factor became known as
'vitamin P-P.
The pharmaceutical and oil industry went to work developing
'synthetic P-P factor. They did NOT want people to know they could
treat pellagra, berberi and the spin-off dis-ease conditions that
result from them-by growing their own cure in the form of tobacco.
They did not want the people to make the association between P-P
factor, nicotine, and tobacco.
Pharmaceutical interests figured out a way to manufacture synthetic
P-P cheaply and easily using pyridine carbon rings from inexpensive
charcoal and petroleum. These companies could not patent tobacco, but
they could patent synthesized drugs. People have no need for drugs
when they can grow their own tobacco and stay healthy.
Niacin is a bogus term. It is a coined name - like canola! It was
invented by the medical establishment and pharmaceutical interest in
the 1950's. It was coined to hide the fact that nicotinic acid - the
acid form of nicotine in dried tobacco) is the active ingredient that
balances the excesses that bring on pellagra and beriberi.
Certain interests wanted control over America's health. There was a
massive effort to vilify tobacco. That effort continues today.
To create confusion and cover their tracks, the experts divided the
B-12 vitamin complex into separate vitamin factors, called B-1
through B-12. They even went so far as to give vitamin B-12 a special
name-intrinsic factor. You will find this term in all medical and
nutrition texts. Intrinsic factor MUST be present in gastric juices
for proper digestion.
Intrinsic factor is critical to fusion reactions in man's gut and
liver. Fusion reactions provide us with vitality and energy and are
part of biological alchemy.  This is 'cold fusion'. Without intrinsic
factor, pernicious anemia rears it head and the immune system takes a
nose dive.
Intrinsic factor is also known as cobalt blue or cobalt 60. Look on a
vitamin bottle and you will find that vitamin b-12 is called
'cyanocobalamin'. Dissected, the word looks like this: cyan-blue,
cobal-short for cobalt, min-short for amine.
Cobalt 60 is a naturally occurring radioactive substance that must be
present in order for life to exist. It is a crucial element in the
fusion reactions in the bio-electric body of man and animal. It is
involved in the production of the massive amounts of energy needed to
keep us alive. Tobacco is loaded with cobalt blue. It is full of the
B-vitamin complex!...
A long-term campaign began early in this century to get people to
stop using tobacco in all form. Today the effort is massive. Tobacco
has been blamed for every disease condition from lung problems to
cancer. Tobacco is a scapegoat!
The truth of the matter is that less expensive, cheaper substances -
synthetic substances - have been substituted in many tobacco
products. People have been smoking TOXIC substitutes instead of the real thing!
One reason tobacco is being socially vilified is to cover the
deleterious side effects of billions of tons of toxic waste chemicals
being burned in waste incinerators across the USA. Also remember that
tobacco sold in stores contains several hundred additives and these
do cause serious problems.
Tobacco is the perfect cover. The pharmaceuticals, medicine and big
government are the problem, not tobacco.
Old time farmers from Tennessee and thereabouts knew that if you
wanted to have the finest horses in the world, you had to feed them
tobacco. It seems that people count as much as horses.

I tried to include the most important parts of this excellent
article. I think I know what I am going to grow in my garden....

Paleobest,
Susan