From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:42:56 -0900
> >To paleo pet-owners: How do I start my dog on paleo?  What about my cat?
>
> Feed them both a variety of raw meat. Supposedly it's dangerous to feed
> dogs chicken bones, as the bones splinter and the dog can perforate their
> oesophagus (sp?) or choke on it if they swallow without chewing properly.
> Cats love fish, but mine prefers it cooked!

I second the recommendation for Ian Billinghurst's books, but
especially "The Ultimate Diet" by Kymythy Schulze.  After 11
months, my black lab is almost completely free of her inflammatory
bowel disease, thanks to Kymythy and the raw food and bones diet
espoused in her book.

As for feeding bones, *cooked* bones splinter.  Dogs are quite
capable of fully digesting raw chicken bones, as well as most other
kinds of bones.  Eclipse eats mostly raw turkey necks and backs.
(Of course, the moose leg bone in my living room would fall under
the category of "enjoyment and exercise" as opposed to "food"
because it is too large and to hard for her to eat. <g>)

Lisa Sporleder and Eclipse
Ester, Alaska