From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 02:07:53 -0700
"Anna L. Abrante" wrote:

> In a message dated 8/11/99 10:50:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > You can eat all the raw beef, raw pork or raw meat that you like
> > and want. You will not get sick from eating such. The so called
> > salmonella infection does ring true. The salmonella bacteria only

[snip]

> Dr. , and I use the term loosely in this case.  This information is
> diametrically opposed to everything we here, in America, know
> to be true about salmonella.

Where do you get this "we" and "true". I have seen tv and printed
statements about this but that is not PROOF of truth. Usually the meat
was supposedly not cooked fully and possibly had been frozen and
thawed. My experience is with never frozen antibiotic and hormone free
meat. Some grass fed and feedlot fed and some only grass fed. I don't
use ground meat only whole pieces. I have been eating raw meat for
three years. I sometimes end up eating a piece of meat that I have had
for as long as three weeks. (this meat gets quite soft) I have never
gotten sick from eating under these conditions. This leads me to
question what "everything we here, in America, know to be true about
...(fill in your favorite)". We have had people get sick and some
deaths but what caused this. Was it the treatment that they received
in our hospitals? Was it the handling of the meat? We may never know
for sure. Is my immune system stronger than most? I know others who
eat raw meat and no one that I know has had problems. Each of us has
to make our own decisions about what we eat. I also know many people
eating a paleo diet of cooked meat and doing quite well. I am happy
eating my meat raw but it may not be as important as Dr Bernarr
believes. Hopefully he will respond to this thread.

> If you have references to back up
> this statement, then lead us to them.  If you know people that
> the above information applies to, that's all fine and good.
> But one should always know the audience which they are
> addressing.
>
> The average, uninformed, American that reads this is very, very,
> likely to take this information as fact, just because of the 'Dr" in
> front of your name (regardless of whether or not it's real),
>  and as a result end up ill
> or dead, or their children will.  Our systems are NOT used to
> such things in our food, regardless of how prevelant it is in
> our surroundings. To tell people that it's ok to eat meats raw,
> *at will*, is reckless and irresponsible to say the least.  There are
> many dangerous organisms in raw meats (and I'm talking about
> filthy, mass produced,grain fed meat from factory type farms,
> which the public at large eats most, not clean,grass fed animals,
> so no flames please from raw-foodists).

This may not be as dangerous as you claim. I have heard of people
doing fine on raw commercial meat. I have eating raw commercial meat
once. Found that the flavor was not as good.

> Having people eating *any* meat raw, in any amount, will
> not only expose them to salmanella, but E. coli and others.
> E. coli is deadly to us.

E. coli is quite common not just in meat. If it is so deadly to us why
are there relatively so few problems with it? You are sounding alarms
without enough data.

> This, to me, is but one very clear example of why we should
> all be very careful about what we read on the internet.

Thank you. We state this in the welcome message that you received when
you joined this list. However if you haven't tried it you are only
operating on second hand information which may or may not be true. If
you want to know first hand you have to experiment on yourself. If you
don't want to know first hand then you won't. I don't care either way
but when you make warnings it is nice if we know the basis for them.