From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:50:05 -0500
Donna H. wrote:
>There are some interesting things regarding blood sugar levels and the
>allergic response to some foods. Hypoglycemia or hyperinsulinemia may
>make one more sensitive, according to Carlton Frederick's New Low
>Blood Sugar and You (can be found at Amazon.com at
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0399510877/qid=914367808/sr=1-1/002-
9046620-2325010).

It goes both ways.  An allergen can trigger a hypoglycemic or diabetic
response; this may partly explain why the glycemic index for a given food
can vary wildly between individuals.  Unfortunately, when someone does a
glucose tolerance test, the sugar he ingests is usually derived from corn, a
common allergen.  This phenomenon is described in Dr. William Philpott's
"Brain Allergies"
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0879834269/qid=914369449/sr=1-1/002-
7927730-6221643).

Like you, I'm curious about the connection between weight-loss drugs and
allergy treatment.  Allergies can trigger an inflammatory response that
causes water retention (and perhaps interferes with weight loss in other
ways), so the correlation isn't too surprising.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland