Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:29:40 -0600
Ashley Moran wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2008, at 03:22, steve wrote:
>
>> While one must keep in mind that mercola always has something sell, I
>> found his bit sufficiently interesting to start doing some research.
>> Right now I'm inclined to start converting all the families cookware
>> to this cast iron enamel cookware or glass.
>
> I'm pretty sold on the idea that teflon=evil, aluminum=evil, stainless
> steel=maybe not a good idea.  Enamel cookware seems a relatively safe
> bet.
>
> What about carbon steel?  Traditional chinese woks are carbon steel,
> not stainless steel.  You have to season them with oil to give them a
> protective coating.  I guess they still release iron, but do they have
> the other metals Mercola warns are present as stainless steel alloys?
>
> Ashley

I'm still concerned about the seasoning issue.  It seems to me that what
you end up doing is coating the pan with oxidized oils that get added to
everything you cook therein.

I'm considering enamel coated aluminum.  It seems the most cost
effective and since the food doesn't touch the aluminum, I don't think
there is a measurable risk.

Steve