Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:27:45 -0400
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>According to Walsh (http://www.zonehome.com/met/met.htm), we use about
>180g of glucose per day, mostly by the brain and red blood cells.  That
>would vary somewhat by body weight, because of differences in blood
>volume, but not all that much.  Utilization of glucose by the brain
>should not vary much either.  So I take this to be a ceiling value:
>anything more than 180g/day is converted to SFA anyway.

My reply:
That sounds arbitrary.  Whether carbohydrates consumbed above 180 grams per
day are turned to fat or burned for energy would depend on several factors:
1) the person's daily energy (kcalorie) needs; 2) activity level, body
weight, and muscle mass; 3) whether muscle and liver glycogen stores are
full or empty; 4) what else the person eats that day.... 5) total calorie
intake for the day, and perhaps other factors not mentioned.

If a person stays with his or her daily calorie requirements but eats 200 or
even 300 grams of carbs per day, there is no reason the body would convert
it to fat if the body can use those calories for energy. If glycogen stores
are low or empty, any carb consumption above what is needed at the time of
ingestion may go into glycogen storage.

Rachel