From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:46:00 GMT
I think this is true. I used to get Argentine beef in California and it was
very dark colored compared to grain fed, and very very lean. I moved to the
East Coast last year and now the stuff I see or buy at Fresh Fields is much
fattier and more pale.

Anyone else have experience with this? I understand that buffalo meat in
fact is often grain finished, don't know if this is true.

--Richard

I just telephoned the Annapolis MD Fresh Fields (where I shop) and the
butcher confirmed that the meat is indeed pasture raised, but grain
finished. They double checked on this for me. Yes, it is a little fatty but
it is SO MUCH better than the conventional meat some of us grew up on, eh? I
have had scarce little wild meat in my life (it was venison), but I remember
it was very lean and delicious. But I married a techie, not a hunter, so any
wild meat that comes to our table will have to be a volunteer. LOL

Anyway, Fresh Fields meat is definitely a preferable choice over
conventional meat. The pasture-fed animals are healthier than their
grain-fed counterparts. Just remove excess fat before eating. I have loaned
out my copy of NeanderThin so I can't check this now, but I think I recall
that this is Ray's advice too.

BTW: Fresh Fields' chickens are grain fed unless package says otherwise.

Stacie