From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:25:35 -0600
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:10:33 -0600, William <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm told that these great words in the preamble to the constitution for
> the United States of America were invented by the Six Nations people of
> aboriginal America (from their constitution). "We hold this truth to be
> self-evident; that all men are created equal..."

Actually, it's the Declaration of Independence, and it's "We hold these
truths to be self-evident"...

Supposedly, Jefferson's original wording was "We hold these truths to be
sacred and undeniable", but it got changed when he reworked the original
draft.   Whether he took the thought from someplace else, I don't know
(though it seems reasonable, if they were self-evident, that others would
have thought of them).

> IMHO that took brains.

Indeed.

--