From:
Eliot Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:03:07 -0500
A hat-tip to Alobar from the CaveManFood yahoogrouplist!

If you have never read the Gary Taub's article "What If
It's All Been a Big Fat Lie"  from the NY Times, checkout the article.   It
is on the Adkins Diet website here:
http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/1/20-542932.html

          Below are a few quotes from an interview with Gary Taubs about his
writing of the article.  I nipped it from Alternative_Medicine_Forum just
now.  Here's two little pull-quotes...read it all!

Alobar

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/diet/interviews/taubes.html

            "You have to be able to explain why it is they've never been
able to show that if you exercise more, you'll actually lose weight. When
you read the research articles from the '70s and '80s and '90s, they're
fascinating. They'll always start with a introduction that says exercise and
physical activity is crucial to weight loss and weight maintenance. Then
they'll move into the main part of the paper, where they'll go through study
after study after study, where they acknowledge that these studies fail to
show that you could actually lose significant weight by exercising or being
more active. Then they'll get to the conclusion, and they'll give you a half
a dozen techniques by which you can then make exercise part of an important
weight loss or weight maintenance program. It's surreal reading these
things. The book ended [with] the advice that you have to exercise, but the
actual studies show that doesn't do any good."

            "The underlying philosophy is this kind of Paleolithic diet
theory. It's what we ate during the 2 million years that we were
hunter-gatherers on this planet. The fact that we were hunter-gatherers for
2 million years suggests it was an extraordinarily successful evolutionary
adaptation. The question is: What did we eat during these 2 million [years]
when we left the jungle, the trees, went down into savanna and started
surviving on whatever we could hunt or gather? That's the philosophy. The
answer is, probably considerable meat, very low glycemic index,
hard-to-digest roots and starches, and fruits and berries that look nothing
at all like the beautiful Fuji applies you can buy at your local market now.
Some carbohydrates, but whatever it was, it wasn't refined. It wasn't sugar.
It wasn't flour. It wasn't easy to digest. That's my going theory. If this
theory's right, the diet we evolved to eat is probably the correct diet."