From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 16:34:39 +0100
Adrienne Smith wrote:

 > Thank you for proving my point.  With the exception of moose which contains
 > more polyunsaturated fat than either monosaturated fat or saturated fat, all
 > the other meats listed on your reference chart
contain more of both saturated
 > fat and monosaturated fat  than polyunsaturated fat or more of either
 > saturated fat or monosaturated fat than polyunsaturated fat.

It's true that moose has especially much of PUFA (3:2:3) compared to
other game as well. Probably becaus it eats a lot of herbs in the woods.
However please lood at the "game" meats and not the farmed ones.
Farmed meats are power-fed - Quick and dirty.
They have a significant diffenent fat composition than any game meat, as
Cordaine's references list, and as is outlined again in Cordaines answer
Don showed us the link to.
For example rabbit is  3:3:2
Cornish game hens 3:4:2
beefalo has 4:4:0.3 that's like commercial and though beefalo is called
"game" in reality it's just fed as other beef -- and you note it in the
composition.
bear has 3:4:2, beaver has 3:3:2, Caribou 3:3:1.5
That's far from commercial carcasses, from 10:10:1

 > Unless one is willing to eat a diet composed
 > entirely of moose and omega-3 rich fatty fish such as sardines, mackeral,
 > etc., ..

I think you feel like some others that you should supplement LC (long
chain) PUFAs like fish oil. Fish oil and cold water fish are not paleo.
No homo erectus ever hired a trawler to put mackerels out of the cold
water of the north sea.
If you'd like to arrive at fat compositions as in real wild game jus
just have to cut away the much of the saturated fats and add what wild
game really has. And that's a higher pufa-part and these pufa are
predominately LA and LNA.
  From LA and LNA we don't have such impressive reports how beneficial
they are like DHA. But we do have reports on prostaglandins and their
big impact on the health state.

And for prostaglandins, beneficial series-1 PG's we need to eat LA (or
GLA) -this is omega-6. Otherwise we could fall short of them.
Or the bad series-2 PG's from AA which is directely in meats could
become dominant.

And LNA? At least we need LNA to compete with DGLA for the d5d enzyme.
D5d makes the bad AA out of good dgla. Only If we have enough of LNA,
simple short chain 18:3 omega-3, than we have a strong competition that
keeps d5d busy and keeps it from making more AA out of the beneficial DGLA.

In the same manner the famous mediterannean "paradoxon" can be explained
as well. OA (the olive oil fat) competes for d5d and d6d as well. Just
in a very much reduced action. The enzymes have the strongest affinity
for omega-3 fat.

Fish alone won't do it. The only way to come with farmed meat close to
paleo beasts is to add LA and LNA in a good ratio.
And you won't be able to do that without adding some flax or perilla
in the commercial world.

  >..I am merely questioning the rationale of gobbling down massive amounts
 > of  highly polyunsaturated oils and fats.

I think it's worth to question the gobbling down of pure LA - what many
people do with sunflower, safflor etc. -- for health reasons and that is
wrong without LNA.

regards

Amadeus